Week 1- Part I: Introduction

 My name is Elizabeth Volpe and I am the Drama Instructor in the Academy of Performing Arts at the Atlantic County Institute of Technology in Southern New Jersey. The school is a county vocational high school school that offers Career Technical Education (CTE) opportunities for students looking to pursue a career in a specific trade or industry. I teach grades 9-12 and have the pleasure of teaching my core group of students for four years. I absolutely love what I do! I began teaching eighteen years ago as an English Teacher, then took on a Theatre and TV Production elective. I built a successful theatre and media program but after eight years at that district, I made the move to my current school. In the first year, I built their Media program and then moved over to the Performing Arts Academy to grow the Drama and Musical program. While I sometimes miss teaching Media or English, I am very content with the courses I teach. We are trying to expand the program and introduce electives such as a Musical Theatre elective next year that would be open to any student, not just those in the Academy. 

I am currently working towards my M. Ed in Curriculum and Instruction: Theatre Pedagogy. My goal is to finish my years at the high school level and then move on to teaching theatre at the college/university level and expand my involvement in administrative or directorial positions in community theatres.

(Class of 2024 Drama Seniors- Please note that these students are now alumni and have provided permission for the sharing of this photo)




Comments

  1. Hi Elizabeth,

    Our school just moved to an Academy model, so it's nice to connect with someone familiar with that concept. We are also doing a version of digital portfolios, so I may reach out for more information on how you are doing all of that as well. Best of luck to you on this course!

    Isaac

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment